Shuri Castle 首里城

16:49

Although I've now been in Okinawa for 4 months, I only just made it to Shuri Castle this past weekend. Griff saw a picture of it a few weeks ago, and thought it was a temple, but since I told him it was, in fact, a castle, he's been asking to go to the castle every weekend since. 

Seeing as the dog and little boy seem to like waking me up at 5:30-6am every morning at the moment, we were up and out of the house in time to get to Shuri Castle for the opening ceremony, which happens at 8:30 every morning. I'm really glad we went as early as we did, because by the time we were leaving there were bus loads of tour groups walking in as we were walking out. When we were looking around it wasn't crowded at all. Having an early waking small child is useful for some things I suppose....

Griff was super happy to have his photo taken under the gate





The other early risers to the Castle

The opening ceremony

The main castle building



Some nice bonsai



View of the main building from inside another

The King's "throne" for want of a better word



View of Naha from the Castle

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. cool about being there for the opening ceremony! We have only been once but I would like to go again before we leave so I will definitely try to get there for the opening ceremony!

    ReplyDelete